The popcorn machine is getting more and more popular these days. Many people are trying to get their own popcorn machine or some even try to get the supply of it and make it into a business.
The question is, why do you need it?
So what exactly is a popcorn machine anyway?
It is also called as a popcorn maker. It is simply a plug-in machine that turns un-popped kernels into delicious popcorn. With the advancement of technology, there is a range of popcorn machine supplies to choose from.
Some machines may produce faster and healthier popcorn, while others are not as good as you think.
Why do you need a popcorn machine?
If you’re considering about getting yourself a popcorn maker, you’re making the right choice. Below are some of the reasons that will strengthen your idea of getting it…
I know that you can also make your own popcorn by using microwave oven. However, you have to understand that a popcorn maker produces healthier popcorn.
These machines pop with air and not oil. If it is to compare with shop bought popcorn, the home-made is better in quality and it is always healthier. By the way, you can control the addictives to be added in yourself.
Yes, a popcorn machine can produce popcorn in a faster speed. You don’t have to wait for long just to serve yourself your favorite snack.
The popcorn maker is able produce 6 to 10 cups of popcorn every minute. Think about it, it is just perfect if you have a group of friends you’re about to put for a movie.
This is another added advantage if you use a popcorn maker. Compare with microwave oven, the numbers of un-popped is lesser, which solves the wastage problem.
There are tons and tons of reasons why you need to get a popcorn maker. The key is in choosing the popcorn machine supplies.
If you’re planning on getting a popcorn maker, you’re going to save a lot of your money for the long-term.
Most of the maker comes in with at least a one-year guarantee. Thus, you won’t have to worry about replacement and you can recoup your investment very fast.
This is the most important reason most people plan to get their very own popcorn machine. The popcorn made by the machine is much tastier and more delicious.
History of Popcorn and Popcorn Machines
Heating sand with fire and stirring popcorn kernels into the heated up sand was a common method during this time, and 18th century explorers noted a boiling method in fat or oil to pop the corn.
Beginning in the late 19th century, popcorn became a popular snack in the United States, and street vendors would use steam and gas-powered popcorn poppers to sell to crowds in the city, near theaters, and at parks or fairs after the development of the mobile popcorn machine by Charles Cretors in 1893.
The popularity of popcorn in the U.S. continued through the Great Depression when its low cost allowed for people who could afford little else to buy for between 5 and 10 cents per bag.
When televisions were introduced to homes, the amount of popcorn consumed in the U.S. dwindled, but with the invention of the microwave and development of microwave popcorn, Americans would soon return to popcorn to its status as one of the country’s favorite snacks.
How To Choose The Most Suitable Popcorn Maker
There are a variety of popcorn makers for you to choose in the market. Before you make any investment, you have to consider the factors such as the machine features, output volume, budget, maintenace, accessories and the most important of all, the reason you buy it.
Let’s take a good look at some of the factors.
- For features, the standard features include kettles where the corn is popped and drop shelves where the final product is scooped. The higher-end machines offer tempered glass panels that protect againts the heat.
- If your popcorn maker uses plastic instead of tempered glass, it may cost lower in the front but might cost more in the long-term because of replacement. Some of the popcorn machines offer warning zones and presentation drawers. Choose according to your needs.
- As for the volume, the size of the kettle is determined by how many one-ounce servings the kettle produces in one popping cycle. Smaller machine tends to produce smaller outputs. This is totally depending on the purpose of your purchase.
- If it is for home use, a smaller popcorn marchine will be better. Commercial business needs a higher output for more serving because the larger the kettle, the less popping time is required and it can serve more people.
- Now, your budget. You can find quality machines for just a few hundred dollars. Some may cost a few thousands. The best option here is to choose the one that suits to your purpose from all the popcorn machine supplies. Compare prices to get the best features for the least amount of money.
- Do some shopping and research before you make your decision.
- And finally, the maintenance. You need a machine that can maintain to produce great taste popcorn for the long-term. Some machines provide features that make maintenance easier including glass panels and aluminium trays that can be wiped with cloth or removed for thorough cleaning.
- Make sure your machines come along with warranties.
- For accessories. Some manufacturers also offer popcorn supplies for both home theaters and businesses including bulk packages of popcorn and seasonings, butters and oils, serving boxes and bags and popcorn scoops.
The most important factor is to know your purpose of having the popcorn machine. Once you knew the reason, you can then list down all the requirements you want and start sourcing for it.
Tips On How To Run Your Popcorn Machine Effectively
A commercial popcorn machine is easy to operate. Usually, it comes with three control buttons. The first button is usually the heat switch. Once you hit this button, you will allows the kettle to heat up. The important point to remember here is to always turn off this button when your popcorn popping is nearning completion.
This is a very important point to remember. It will prevent your popcorn from burning and keeps the internal parts of the kettle called the heating elements and thermostats from burning.
The second button will be the motor button. Once this button is activated, the machine will turns the agitator to keep your popcorn, oil, and salt in constant motion so that your popcorn does not burn. You can activate this button after heating your popcorn.
The final button is the button that controls the heat lamp. You can activate the heat lamp after you activate the two swtiches above. The heat from the lamp will keep your popcorn fresh and warm all the time.
The general rule is that you have to wait about 30 seconds before you can add in your oil and salt into the kettle. Remember, do not wait more than one minute.
After you have activated the heat switch, never have an empty popcorn kettle for more than 20 seconds. If you did, you will burn the internal parts of the kettle.
What ingredient should you put in first? The best is to start from putting in the oil. You want to heat up the oil first before you add in popcorn.
Remember to also read the operating manuals before you start your machine.